Maca Caramel Brownie Scones
Decadent and healthy-ish, these maca infused scones have just the right goop factor. They’re also low on sugar (ignoring the mild duds), technically paleo (if you leave off the caramel drizzle) and gluten free. Big hit in my household so my maca scone tinkering is done! Hard to beat chocolate and caramel. (Caramel drizzling tips welcomed.)
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cups Milk Duds (or any caramel/chocolate candy you choose)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine, then stir in Milk Duds.
- Spray an ice cream scoop with oil. (The dough is sticky — I had to clean off the scoop and reapply oil three times.) Scoop scones onto the baking sheet, and flatten the tops of the scones gently with wet hands. I brushed on a bit of the honey/egg mixture left in the second bowl to give the scones a crunchier top.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until scones are crisp and cooked through but not over baked. You want them to be moist inside.
Caramel Drizzle Ingredients
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup butter (I used Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Caramel Drizzle Directions
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add milk, butter and brown sugar. Whisk together and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Drizzle over scones immediately. (I used a Tablespoon, but there must be a better way. Again, tips welcomed!)
Mic Drop on the Maca Scone Quest!